I came very close to tearing up during the opening crawl. This is one of a couple franchises I could say I grew up with and I guess it's a bit nostalgic.
Anyways, I'm pretty happy with what Rian Johnson has done! Here are a couple thoughts--
1. The plot felt a little cluttered, but moved along nicely.
2. A handful of jokes broke up otherwise-climatic moments and I could have gone without about half of them.
3. Speaking of which, I think this and The Force Awakens have a different, less subtle sense of humor than the originals did. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does stand out as a little incongruous.
4. It was aesthetically stunning.
5. Rian Johnson introduces some news creatures and ideas to the universe that I really liked.
In conclusion, I definitely recommend The Last Jedi! It did fall short of what I'd hoped in a few ways, but overall I think this is one of the better films to come out of the Star Wars universe and one I look forward to sharing with my kids.
If you've seen The Last Jedi, what did you think? How would it rank with the other episodes?